Gluten Free Whole Foods Plant Based Sliders


Remember those bean/quinoa burgers I made the other day?

I had a lovely chat with my USPS mail carrier and she was telling me how she toasts slices of sweet potato and uses it as a bun for carrier like bread.  Her favorite, she said, is avocado toast.

She said she just puts slices of sweet potato into the toaster and runs it for a few cycles.  I don’t have a regular toaster and I can’t imagine being able to get the slices out of the kind of toaster I’m picturing, but I do have a toaster oven so here’s what I made for lunch today.



Gluten Free Whole Foods Plant Based Sliders
  • Bean/quinoa burgers 
  • Sweet potato
  • Ripe avocado
  • Ripe tomato
  • Salt/pepper 
  • Onion powder (optional)
  • Red pepper flakes (optional)


I had half a leftover sweet potato so I sliced it up and put the slices, completely naked, onto a rack in my 400-degree pre-heated toaster oven.  I can’t tell you how long to cook them because size and depth of the slices will most likely be different every time.  I cooked them until they were just starting to turn brown on the edges.

About five minutes before they were done, I put a couple of the already cooked bean burgers into the toaster oven to warm up.

While the sweet potatoes were cooking I mashed an avocado up with lemon juice, salt, pepper, a little onion powder, and some red pepper flakes.  Then I sliced a very ripe tomato.

There’s no oil in any of these components.  They are gluten free… made from whole foods (since I made the burgers myself too) and definitely plant based.

It’s kind of like eating sushi, though… one piece is too big to be a mouthful.

Next time I may use a potato with more girth (so my slices are larger rather than slider size)… and I may put the mashed avocado on top (otherwise it sort of squishes out when you take a bite).

I give them an A+ though.  It was a great lunch!

Index of all my recipes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Quick Snacks

Instant Pot Vegetable Stew with Beef and Soup Spice Mix